Short Weeks...

The fact that in a few short weeks the last 2 1/2 months will all be memories, all I can do is tear up. I can't explain the overwhelming feeling of having to leave... I know I refer to my time in Alabama A LOT and I apologize but it's the only way I can kind of explain how I'm feeling. Both experiences are different but the feelings have been the same. I was excited to come, then not excited, hated being there/here, started accepting it, made friends, found things I loved about where I was/am, then by the time it's time to leave and go back home, I don't want to leave. I try to tell myself everyone goes through it and maybe they do and maybe they don't, but it's a never ending cycle. And I'm to the last stop in that cycle: I don't want to leave.

I spent last weekend on another short trip to Budapest, Hungary and I have to say, as tired as traveling so much makes me, it's going to be a change to staying in one place all the time. I'll be traveling to and from home and Kearney all summer so I guess it's kind of the same, right?? I'm excited for new chapters to open but I hate when others have to close... Growing up is not all that enjoyable, kids, don't believe everything you hear..

Budapest was incredible to say the least. 80 degree weather everyday, shorts, dresses, ice cream, more wine, boat tours, water parks, thermal baths, figuring out more metro systems and time spent with some of the best people! I have enjoyed traveling with different people all the time and being around those who make every second count. This time we traveled solely by train and we thought it would be a breeze... but then we got on the train and all we wanted was a breeze. We didn't know that we had to reserve a seat, because it was extra, we thought we'd get random seats... nope! We stood for 2 1/2 hours... we ended up being able to laugh by the time we found seats but it we didn't know what to do and naturally, no one spoke english - not sure why that still surprises me. And after two months, we still don't know enough Czech to communicate well 😂 But the most adorable little boy standing next to me with his mom started trying his english and having a conversation with me - it was absolutely adorable! We finally got seats and I started and finished the latest Harry Potter book, The Cursed Child. Tears were naturally shed and now I can't wait to start reading all the others and then start reading Fantastic Beasts! Any who - when we arrived in Budapest we checked into our Wombats Hostel, got a free drink, and since we were staying right down town, we had some awesome food options!!

Saturday was spent buying more souvenirs, exploring Budapest, visiting St. Stephen's Basilica, the Parliament, walking along the Danube, a few memorials THAT YOU NEED TO READ ABOUT IN THE BELOW PICTURES, eating more great food and finished off our evening on a wine boat tour down the river! It was the best view of Buda and allowed me to take more night city shots. The Hungarian wine was incredible and it felt like summer so we sat outside on the deck around the boat the whole evening and took in the views. (I'm SO ready for lake days!!)

Sunday we slept in and ventured out to Margaret Island in the middle of the Danube to go to the thermal baths - not sure why they're so popular in Hungary but they are so we had to do it... The receptionist at our hostel told us the one on the island just opened and it's less busy than the others, so what the heck! Turned out to not only be a thermal bath but a water park, too! $7 per person for the whole day and our little hearts were content - we hung out there all day long! The island itself was one big park and everything was leafy green with families walking and biking all along the paths. It was almost like walking into Disneyland but without all the rides. I naturally didn't think I'd need my camera and I definitely needed it... By the end of the day when we made it back to the hostel we were pooped and ready for some serious sleep. We found a cute little pizza place where Nick and I ended up getting pizza with whole jalapeños all over them. First few bites, not so bad, by the end of the pizza, I couldn't feel my mouth - needless to say, whoever decided this was a good idea must have killed all their tastebuds off.

Monday morning early we made our trek back to Olomouc. We even got seats on both trains this time and free WiFi! Sleeping on trains is much easier than sleeping on a plane but the constant stop and go made for a wake up call every 10-30 minutes.. We arrived in time to take a nap before class and to get some lunch. Tuesday, yesterday, we didn't have class and as sleep deprived as I was I was ready to do absolutely nothing all day long. May Day is a national holiday here and everything was closed and there were markets and music in the square. Great food, music we couldn't understand, Czech beer, wine, deserts, trinkets and so much more! Some of us hung out there while the rest of our group went and played paintball in an old fortress around the city. I decided not to join because I know what being hit by a paintball feels like and once I saw the fortress, I was a little upset I didn't... It's like being inside Call of Duty - it was actually pretty cool. We topped off the day with a BBQ at the paintball site and called it a night! A great end to a great weekend and great first start to summer!


BUDAPEST










If you have time, read this about the above statue. We've been learning a lot about how different countries in Europe are trying to re-write history about the holocaust and what actually happened and took place in individual countries. Just like America, we need to accept what happened and learn from it, NOT re-write it - then history is only bound to repeat itself. 
























































OLOMOUC

















Comments

Popular Posts